My photo
I'm a wife to an amazing man, mom to a tuxedo cat and I'm rapidly approaching 30. Now afternoon naps are replacing late nights out, brunches are replacing early morning breakfasts, and yoga pants are replacing tight jeans. This is my niche, a place to document our memories.

Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

I must be in a roasted vegetable kind of mood lately, because this recipe came to me shortly after making the Spiced Cauliflower Poppers.  I wanted to come up with a spaghetti sauce that was healthier than the jarred varieties, and I created a sauce that was pretty tasty.  I had meant to write a post about it, but never got around to it.  I'm glad I didn't though, because I made the sauce again over Easter and tweaked the recipe, making it even better.  I present to you my Roasted Red Pepper Sauce.
 
 
Ingredients:
1 medium sized red onion
2 medium sized red peppers
cooking spray
2/3 cup canned diced tomatoes with juice
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (I used Club House Italiano)
1 tablespoon salsa seasoning (I used MPK Mucho Foods Salsa Mix)
 
Steps:
1 - Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2 - Cut peppers and onions into large pieces.  They'll get pureed later, so it doesn't really matter the size, just chunky bits.
3 - Put the peppers and onion into a bowl, and spray lightly with cooking spray. Toss, then spray again.
5 - Put the peppers and onion on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, and pop in the oven.
6 - Bake for a total of half an hour, taking them out of the oven after fifteen minutes to rotate them, so each side gets a little caramelized.
7 - Once the peppers and onion are baked, place in a food processor to puree to a chunky salsa consistency.  Add the canned tomatoes with juice and puree again, this time creating a nice sauce texture. 
8 - Next add the garlic, Italian and salsa seasonings to your sauce, and puree once again to mix thoroughly.
9 - If the sauce has cooled down, heat it up in a pot over the stove.  Serve and enjoy.
 

This recipe makes enough to share between two people.  The first time I made the sauce, I ate it with spaghetti squash and added it to pre-packaged ravioli.  When I made it again over Easter, I put it over spaghettini and enjoyed turkey spinach meatballs with it.  Once I have the meatballs perfected, I'll share that recipe too!

Let me know what you think of the sauce.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment