My photo
I'm a wife to an amazing man, mom to a tuxedo cat and I'm rapidly approaching 30. Now afternoon naps are replacing late nights out, brunches are replacing early morning breakfasts, and yoga pants are replacing tight jeans. This is my niche, a place to document our memories.

Gelatin Gummy Candies

Since I've had such a sweet tooth, I decided to come up with a healthier alternative to the goodies I've been consuming lately, in particular gummy candies.  The part of these candies that I really enjoy is the texture: that rubbery, chewy consistency that makes my jaw ache after I've eaten too many.  Candy and I go hand in hand; so much so in fact, that Fridays were reserved as a candy day at work, and I'd have a stash of gummy candies ready.  Oh, who am I kidding?  I'd randomly dig into my candy stash and get hyper, leaving my co-workers annoyed at my sugar high.  If I'm going to get to my goal weight, I better kick my bad habits, and replace them with better ones.  So, I found this recipe on Pinterest for an alternative, and I tried my hand at Gelatin Gummy Candies.

candies, homemade candies, gummy candies, homemade gummy candies, Pinterest, Jell-O molds, Jell-O recipe, Jell-O candies,

Ingredients:
2 envelopes no sugar added gelatin, any flavor
4 envelopes unflavored gelatin
2/3 cup water

Steps:
1 - Pour water into a saucepan, and sprinkle with all six gelatin envelopes.  For a variety I made three batches: orange, raspberry and strawberry.
2 - Heat mixture over medium high heat, until gelatin is dissolved and mixture is thick and bubbly.
3 - Remove from heat and pour mixture into molds.  I used a rubber heart ice cube tray from IKEA, but I'm sure you could find something similar at a dollar store.  Even the ice cube trays designed to make long skinny ice for water bottles would work.  It'd make gummy worms of sorts.
4 - Allow gelatin to set in the fridge for about thirty minutes.  This could take more or less time, just depending on the depth of the candy mould.  The thicker they are, the more time they'll take.
5 - Unmold the candies, and enjoy.

candies, homemade candies, gummy candies, homemade gummy candies, Pinterest, Jell-O molds, Jell-O recipe, Jell-O candies,
candies, homemade candies, gummy candies, homemade gummy candies, Pinterest, Jell-O molds, Jell-O recipe, Jell-O candies,
I made these for the first time last night, and they were a BIG hit.  I had two batches already made and in the fridge by the time Justin got home from work.  He didn't look directly in the bowl, but the bright red/pink colour caught his attention, and he just thought I had a bowl of beats on the go.  I took the bowl out to show him my creation, and he was eager for taste testing.  I told him he couldn't eat too many, since I needed to take photos for my recipe post.  I then made a third batch, and was thankful we were leaving the house, so Justin wouldn't eat too many of the candies.

When we arrived back at home, he was very impatient as I took the gummies out of the mold and took my pictures.  I delivered the candies to him on the couch, and he gobbled them up.  When he asked where I got the recipe from, I told him to take a guess.  He's catching on to my love of Pinterest!

2 comments:

  1. You can send me your heart now *wink* :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I use juice in place of some of the water? I have juiced ginger that needs to be used up.

    ReplyDelete